EAT PLAY LOVE: ST KILDA’S 7 BEST KEPT FOOD FUN AND FITNESS SECRETS
ST KILDA’S 7 BEST KEPT FOOD FUN AND FITNESS SECRETS
- LONA PINTXOS BAR: ALL HOUSE DRINKS ALL $2.50 ALL NIGHT. EVERY MONDAY
Did you know – and not alotta people know this – that you can party every Monday right on the sea view end of Acland Street like the prices are 1989? At the lovely LONA PINTXOS (that’s Tapas to the likes of you and me) BAR where the four terrific tap beers and an excellent Chardy and the house red are all only $2.50. All night. EVERY MONDAY. (I kid you not!).
And from the very reasonably priced menu you would be a culinary peasant not to try your particular predilection from amongst the amazing Pork Belly, Lamb Cutlets, Fish Tacos or Mushroom Sliders. With a suitably authentically Spanish big bowl of Patatas Bravas (Home Fries to the American (ized) among you) on the side.
64-66 Acland St. Lona.com.au 9525 3755
- PINK FLAKE: $10 DAILY DAYTIME SEAFOOD DEALS
At last seaside St Kilda gets the cheap and yet still tasty chip shop it deserves.
The ever accommodating Patel has taken over the rather garish PINK FLAKE on Acland Street and he offers $10 daytime specials (till 5pm EVERYDAY). Including Flake or Blue Grenadier or Calamari with chips OR rice (including BROWN rice!) AND a super selection of salads including Greek and Asian.
92A Acland St 8525 0198.
- LENTIL AS ANYTHING: GREAT VEGO FOOD AND PAY AS MUCH AS YOU LIKE
You must be mental as anything if you have not tried LENTIL AS ANYTHING part of a Melbourne wide chain of not for profit vegos where you can pay however much you like for their fab food. The one in Brunswick went bust because the Hipsters were too stingy. But the more generous tourists have kept this one afloat. Until a couple of years ago this one’s food was the weak link in the chain. But now it’s great. Particularly the eponymous Lentil Burger, Vietnamese Salad and Veg Curries. Do not go there if you are in a hurry, however.
- JIG’S KITCHEN – HOME OF JIGS HOMEMADE PIES. Oh come on, really. You still never heard of it? Let me just put it this way. Tlll Jig and Jenny moved their cool blues music playing and hot homemade pies (including great seafood and vego options) serving back-to-basic café to Balaclava, I believe that somewhere called Collingwood claimed to be the true “Home Of The Pies”.
- HOLY NO COW! NON DAIRY CHEESES THAT DON’T TASTE LIKE ERASERS! This is not really a St Kilda thing, yet, but it bloody well oughta be! A Coburg based modern day Viking called Martin Sorensen who sometimes chefs at the ever/over popular Monk Bohdi Dharma in Balaclava has, and again I kid you not, has actually successfully created non diary versions of Brie and Feta cheeses – among several others. The first person, in Australia at the very least, ever to do this successfully! They taste almost as good as the real thing. But are significantly less atherosclerosis-inducing.
You could either try to persuade Balaclava’s Aunt Maggie’s – or whatever it calls itself these days – as she stocks them in at least one of her other stores. OR…you could simply buy them direct from the (faux) cow’s mouth at…
www.damona.com.au or 0468 348 374
- TAI CHI ON THE ROOF OF ST KILDA BATHS. INTEGRATIVE QIGONG AT THE NEW STUDIO 202
And now for something a little less calorific and a little more spiritual.
There is only ONE lone exercise class per week on the roof of the St Kilda Bath – the best exercise view you will ever find in St Kilda – unless you are, Bond-like, Jet Skiing in the Bay perhaps. It is South Pacific Health Club St Kilda’s weekly Wednesday 11.30am Tai Chi. Followed by a convivial $2.50 South Pacific Members special rate Chai Tea at Republica. If you fancy the company.
In fact if you make it (its FREE for all South Pacific members!) you are very likely to see me there.
Alternatively if you are not a South Pacific Member and are not thinking of joining then you might also want to consider
INTEGRATIVE QIGONG: Chinese Yoga/Qigong/Tai Chi/Mindfulness offered by human movement maestro Nicole at the new Studio 202 Lvl 1 16-20 William St Balaclava
- WALK RATHER THAN WORK
Retired, self-employed or just don’t fancy going to work on Monday morning. And instead might prefer a leisurely seaside stroll with some breezy company. The FREE Heart Foundation-supported St Kilda Walking Group meets every Monday at 10.00am at Inner South, 18 Mitford St
Laura McDonald on 9525 1300 or www.heartfoundation.org.au/walking
IF YOU HAVE A FOOD, FUN OR FITNESS VENUE, SERVICE OR PRODUCT THAT YOU WOULD LIKE HENRY TO SAMPLE AND REVIEW PLEASE CONTACT email@example.com